Saturday, August 4, 2018

In the Circle of Reviews, Remember To Be You

Thursday of last week was not my favorite day.

The good and bad of Facebook messages 


First, I received a Facebook message via my author page from an upset author.  It was about a review I'd done of her book.  The author told me how I should have mentioned certain things in my review about characters and plot line that were not mentioned and that I should have ended on a more positive note.  As a fellow author, I'm no stranger to a bad review of my work.  However, I put it out of my mind and deleted the message.

Next, I received an exciting email.  A review of my second novel set in ancient Egypt, "The Forgotten: Heir of the Heretic," was posted on a website devoted to historical fiction and non-fiction stories.  Elation coursed through me.  My first ancient Egyptian fiction novel, "The Forgotten: Aten's Last Queen," was well reviewed and was even an Indie Editor's Choice book for that year.


While I knew it wasn't an Editor's Choice (you receive an email prior to review posting if you are).  But I was thinking positive as I pulled up the review.  To my surprise, it was not very positive.  The reviewer said my writing was inelegant, my characters were too precocious, and the story as a whole was unbelievable.  While it ended on a note that offered a suggestion to readers who might like my story, overall, the review left me downhearted. I was surprised over the things that were pointed out, and the things that weren't.

Did I think back to my earlier message from the other upset author?  Of course.  The Lion King's "Circle of Life" song even played in my head.  Even my own mind likes to point out the obvious to me.

I thought of what the other author said.  In the review of my book, there was very little mention about characters or the historical facts I worked hard to portray accurately.  I have my own library of over 50 reference books on ancient Egypt, so I've researched!  The reviewer did comment on my misspelling of the capital city (missing a hyphen in it), now known as Amarna, but it didn't mention the other details I crafted.  In fact, other authors were brought up who wrote about ancient Egypt better than I did.  Talk about a burn.  I even included my own artwork in this novel of the main characters, which I was proud to share with readers.  Not a mention.

So yes, I was also very upset, as was the author who lamented my review of her novel.  And all on the same day.

However, the next day, a relative of mine sent me a Facebook message.  She told me how she'd just finished "Heir of the Heretic" (or HOTH as I like to refer to it, because any reference to Star Wars is nerdy win!).  My relative told me she loved it, thought I did a great job writing, and asked when my next book was coming out.  Talk about a 360.

Wow moment.  


Okay, yes, its a relative of mine.  But (1) while I knew this relative was enthusiastic about my writing, I didn't know she was reading my book, and (2) she didn't need to reach out to me and complement my writing.  I know people who purchase my book to show support like the total rock stars they are.  Like me, sometimes they have tons of books on their shelves, and so people who purchase don't always read them--we're all busy people.  I understand that.  And I love my friends so much for supporting my authoring ventures.  So getting this message really helped put things into perspective.

Here's what I reminded myself of:
(1) Reviews can be great and supportive and help generate buzz for you book.  However, reviews can also be hard to read and critical and can weigh an author down who worked hard to publish their art.
(2) I'm not perfect.  I research, sure, but its so easy to miss something.  I missed something that the reviewer of my book noticed.  That's something for me to build upon. 
(3) You can't please everyone.  There will always be negative reviews.
(4) A review is just one person's opinion.  That's very important to remember.

Don't be what other people expect you to be.  Be yourself.  I'm not writing to please other people, I'm writing because I love it.  So if people criticize my book, that's their opinion.  I respect that others have opinions.  I also realize that arguing with someone isn't going to change their mind.

The internet is a great way for people to express themselves.  However, there's a lot of negativity out there.  That's something that all writers should understand.  A lot of people are going to like your book, but they're not going to write a review.  And the negative reviews that are written up by other readers will stand out to you.

I write a lot of book reviews.  I love reading, and I love sharing books I love.  But what I I don't like is writing negative reviews.  Its hard on me, because I see it from the other end.  And I hope if I do write one, the author will take my feedback as constructive instead of destructive.

Constructive, not destructive


So instead of letting one bad review get me down, I'm going to let the negativity slough off my skin.  I'm not going to let it harden my heart.  And I'll look at the constructive side of things.  Because sometimes readers point out errors or inconsistencies an author (and/or an editor at times) missed.

I love to write and explore ancient or fantasy or sci fi worlds.  I'm going to keep doing it.  Maybe you don't like my writing, but that's okay.  I'm writing from my heart, and if your opinion is different than mine, that's okay!  I respect that. 

Be encouraged, fellow authors.  Be you, nobody else, and write what resonates in your heart.

And I hope that the reviews will be ever in your favor! 

If you liked what you read here, feel free to share.  Give some other authors support who may be overcoming a tough review.  Encourage their hearts and souls and remind them they wrote a freaking book--that's an accomplishment and its AWESOME!  
#authorproud #authorsunite #beYOU #writefromtheheart and most importantly, #constructivenotdestructive 

Shameless plug here, but these are my other two works: (since its my blog, I can do that - tee hee)


Find them all at the link HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment